Details for Executive Director
United Way of Columbia County is hiring an Executive Director! Are you interested in fighting for the health, education and financial stability for all in Columbia County? Are you passionate about community service? Do you have excellent leadership skills? This opportunity may be for you!
For full job description and application instructions, please visit: www.uwpnw.org/employment
Or to apply online: https://careers.unitedway.org/job/executive-director-42
Office Location: Rainier, Oregon (Columbia County)
Executive Director Position Description
About the Community:
Discover hidden treasures throughout Columbia County, Oregon! https://www.sccchamber.org/
“Around every corner lies a wealth of surprises. Seek out wildlife along the Columbia River. Enjoy the quaint shops. Enrich your mind with national and local history. Search for the secrets that abound, as you discover the treasures along the rivers, through the towns and down the paths of Columbia County.
Over sixty miles of the Columbia River grace the north and east boundaries of the county, the longest stretch in the state of Oregon. Discover your secret fishing hole or encounter an eagle as you slip through the water in a kayak or canoe. Experience beautiful trails for hiking & biking along the water or through the trees.”
The position of the Executive Director is to provide leadership and overall management in carrying out the purpose and policies of the organization as established by the Board of Directors. Effective service to the community is measured by strong relationship and volunteer management, strong resource development, community impact strategies management, and sound operations. The Executive Director adheres to the utmost level of ethical standards.
Essential Competencies and Processes:
1. Provide Community and Organizational Leadership: measurements include visionary/strategic thinking, problem solving and decision making, team leadership, and talent development/management
2. Develop Impact Strategies, Resources and Build Relationships: measurements include influence and impact, coalition building, development and investments of resources, volunteer and investor relationship management, and political awareness
3. Demonstrate Business Awareness: Measurements include strategic and operational planning, financial management, United Way message management, and technology management
4. Model Exemplary Values and Personal Attributes: measurements include achievement orientation, integrity, flexibility and continuous learning
Oversight of Organizational Work Plans:
Board Strategic Plan:
• Maintain organizational structure, responsible for adherence to policies and procedures established by the Board
Annual Campaign plan:
• Monitor every aspect of the campaign from recruitment to solicitation to keeping the campaign on target
• Oversee formation of Campaign strategy and timetable that includes analysis of giving, profiles on key accounts, and community economic profile
• Monitor trends and historical giving data, and problem solve issue areas
Community Impact Plan:
• Serves as spokesperson for the United Way of Columbia County. Represents the agency through community functions and prepares media releases
• Serves as a liaison to rural communities and member agencies, state and national organizations
• Links resources with community agencies in an effort to assist in serving human needs countywide
• Monitors the mobilization of community resources and activities
• Build and participate in appropriate boards, task forces, coalitions, committees
• Develop marketing plan with United Way staff and volunteers to include promotion, education and awareness of the United Way and its supported programs in the community
• Oversee recruiting, training and maintenance of volunteer structure
• Work with the Board of Directors and Board Committees
• Provide direction for policies and programs to keep United Way viable and responsive to changing needs
• Hire and provide orientation, training, supervision and evaluation for new employees
Oversight of Financial Management and Organizational Compliance:
• Prepare annual budget in tandem with Board of Directors
• Control expenditures to remain within approved budget
• Maintain membership requirements with United Way Worldwide and United Way of the Pacific Northwest
• Follow fiscal procedures/investment policies established by Board
• Oversight of monthly financial reports, internal accounting controls, campaign auditing, annual audit and ensure appropriate IRS documentation is filed timely and accurately
• Previously served in a leadership role, specifically in marketing or an executive director environment (3-5 years preferred)
• Bachelor's degree from accredited college is required or equivalent experiences in a related field will be considered.
• Two years minimum experience working for nonprofit organizations
• Management of a nonprofit budget preferred
• Experience in working within rural communities
• Experience with fundraising, community networking and public speaking
• Working experience with successful grant writing
• Comprehensive and current computer skills
• Personal experience as a community volunteer
Full time, exempt position (40 hours/week) in Rainier, Oregon with competitive benefits, retirement plan and generous annual leave including paid vacation/holidays. Salary Range: $30,000 - $38,000.
Check our website at www.uwpnw.org for the job description. Submit Resume; cover letter, and at least three working references to: United Ways of the Pacific Northwest (our trade association that is staffing the search for the Board of Directors) by email only to UWPNWCareers@gmail.com. For inquiries email or call 360-451-9053.
Application review will begin June 20th. Open until filled.
United Way of Columbia County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes its hiring decisions without regard for race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.