Congresswoman Bonamici (OR-01) issued the following statement after the Trump administration repealed guidance on diversity in education that was put in place by the Obama administration.
“As we celebrated Independence Day last week, the Trump Administration quietly continued its efforts to roll back civil rights protections by ending Obama-era guidance to improve diversity on college campuses. This administration’s deliberate attempt to undermine diversity is inconsistent with our American values. The Supreme Court’s decision in Fisher v. University of Texas affirmed the importance of a diverse student body.
“Diversity fosters collaboration and innovation and prepares students to work with people of different races and cultures. Instead of limiting access to higher education for students from historically underrepresented backgrounds, we should be figuring out ways to expand equity and widen the doors of opportunity so that every student has a fair chance to succeed in life.
“The Trump administration’s actions are especially alarming when coupled with Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. This seat is consequential to furthering the promise of equality and equity in education. Our country must not lose its commitment to equal opportunity for all and I will continue to fight back against this Administration’s attacks on equality.”
Bonamici is a leader on the House Education and the Workforce Committee and has been a vocal advocate for diversity and equity in education.
Trending This Week
- St. Helens man sentenced for rape and drug charge
- Former county justice employee sentenced to 30 months for embezzlement
- STP bike ride comes through town July 14 and 15
- Moyer submits letter of resignation while still on admin leave
- LETTERS: Dirty politics
- Police reports 7-11-18
- Homeowners escape ‘challenging’ house fire
- Port seeks applicants after Lichatowich resigns
- Lichatowich withdraws from county commissioner race
- County prosecutor says deny Butts trial delay
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.